Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation
Our mission is to save lives through education about the prevention
and early detection of skin cancer, especially melanoma.
The Foundation’s vision is “to educate children throughout the country and give them
the skills necessary to make healthy sun safety choices throughout their lives.”
As the Foundation grows we will continue to advocate for school districts throughout
the country to require sun safety education as part of their curriculum.
The SunSmart America™ K-12 Curriculum and Resources
help promote sun safety education, prevention and early detection of skin cancer.
Message From Our Founder and President,
Deborah K. Schwarzberg
“I founded the Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation to educate the public in order to prevent people from becoming victims to melanoma and so that others wouldn’t lose their loved ones to this dreaded and deadly, yet avoidable, disease.
Please explore our website and join us in the fight to help educate the public about the dangers of exposure to the sun and how prevention and early detection can save lives.”
The Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation is a non-profit organization involved in skin cancer education. We educate the community through our SunSmart America™ K-12 Curriculum which provides school-based learning on sun safety and skin cancer. SunSmart America™, meets existing requirements in science, health, physical education and language arts.
We also provide other SunSmart America™ programs through this interactive website.
This site aims to provide a wealth of information for educators, parents, students and individuals who have been affected by this disease.
- Important medical and scientific information about skin cancer – types of skin cancer, early detection techniques, statistics of skin cancer in the United States, UV radiation and UV Index.
- Training opportunities – SunSmart America™ Teacher/School Nurse Training for teachers, school nurses and daycare workers. SunSmart America™ Student Training for middle and high school students.
- School Programs – SunSmart America™ Schools – Sun Safety Policy Program is a program to assist schools in developing a sun safety policy. Students Against Melanoma (SAM) is a student program where students teach their peers about sun safety.
- SunSmart America™ K-12 Curriculum – This curriculum includes sun safety lessons, student activities and a pre & post test to measure student’s knowledge of sun safety. This curriculum meets existing requirements in science, health, physical education and language arts.
- Skin Cancer Prevention – Avoid Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Basal Cell Carcinoma and Ocular Melanoma by wearing protective clothing, sun glasses and sun block to prevent sunburn and sun damage. Our motto is “Love The Skin You’re In.”
For a list of all the Current Events – click here >
From the Surgeon General…
Shop, Share and Save!
Every time you make a purchase on Amazon, a percentage goes back to our Foundation. Click here to see how easy it is.
The Melanoma Foundation has been provided grant monies by the Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties, Broward Community Foundation, Lost Tree Village Foundation, Toppel Foundation, Quantum Foundation, Florida Department of Health, Graham Eckes Foundation, JFK Medical Center Auxiliary, Palm Beach Country Club Foundation, Palm Beach Cancer Institute Foundation, Health Foundation of South Florida, The Walter & Adi Blum Foundation, Palm Healthcare Foundation’s B.J. & Paula Harris Fund, among others… Read More >
Which Type of Skin Do You Have?
These 4 types of skin are present in almost every region in the world.
Current News From The Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation
To sign-up and join to receive the e-newsletter with all the current information of what is happening with the Foundation, click here >
Contact the Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation
The Melanoma Foundation is one of the first organizations in the country that has been on the cutting edge of skin cancer preventive education and the only organization in Florida. After extensive review of health education literature, the Foundation selected the successful SunSmart curricula from Australia on which to base its many programs and adapt to local educational standards and environment. The Foundation utilizes SunSmart America™ for grades K-12.
Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation
v: 561-655-9655 | f: 561-655-9650
2751 S. Dixie Highway, Suite 2A, West Palm Beach, Florida 33405